Cold Weather Payments
Types of Payments
There are two separate payments that can be made by Customer and Local Services to assist with the cost of heating your home. For more information see Help with heating costs
- The Cold Weather Bonus is available to help pensioners who qualify with the cost of heating during the winter months of October to April.
- The Income Support Special Payments [Cold Weather Payments] Jersey Regulations 2008 allows Customer and Local Services to make a special payments to help people in receipt of Income Support with their heating bills for the months from October to April.
There are different conditions that you must satisfy to be eligible for these benefits.
- They are calculated and paid differently
- You cannot get both at the same time
The Cold Weather Bonus
The payments are made when the weather drops below a certain temperature.
For full details and downloadable application form see Community Costs Bonus
Before you can claim the Cold Weather Bonus you must:
- be eligible to apply for the Community Cost Bonus and
- on the first day of the cold weather month, your household must include an adult who is 65 or above and is either receiving a Jersey pension or or has 10 years’ continuous residency before making the application
- you or your spouse or partner must own your own home or be responsible for a lease
- no adult in the household should have received a Cold Weather payment from Income Support during the cold weather month.
Cold Weather Bonus payments are made in arrears for the previous period in January and May each year.
Cold Weather Payment – Income Support
For full details see here.
Cold weather payments will be made between November and May if the temperature drops below a certain level. The amount can be different each month as it will depend on how cold the weather was during the month.
The payment is made to any household receiving Income Support that also includes:
- someone over 65 years old or
- a child under the age of three or
- someone with a significant disability
The payments are made automatically and are paid in the same way as regular Income Support payments. There is no need to apply for them separately.
Only one special payment can be made for a dwelling. If more than one household entitled to a payment shares the dwelling, the payment is split equally between the entitled households.
If you are just above the level of income to receive Income Support but you do not pay tax, you may qualify for the Cold Weather Bonus.
Contact Customer and Local Services
PO Box 55
Philip Le Feuvre House
La Motte Street