Drug and solvent abuse

10.1.2 Updated on:

A parent’s legal responsibility

Allowing anyone on your premises to produce or to supply illegal drugs to another person is itself an offence. If you know that your child is sharing illegal drugs with a friend in your home or premises but do nothing to stop it, you have committed an offence.

If you as a parent or any other member of the public finds drugs, they must either hand them into the police to stop another person committing an offence with a drug.

Drug offences

These are some of the most common drugs which are misused. For a complete list, see Schedule 2 of the Law which can be viewed at www.jerseylaw.je

Heroin, Methadone
Opium, Cocaine, Crack
Cannabis Oil
Ecstasy (MDMA)
Processed Magic Mushrooms
Any class B drug which is injected
Amphetamines (Speed)
Cannabis (plus herbal) Resin
Synthetic cannabinoids(Spice)
Mephedrone (similar)SubutexEthylphenidate (and similar)
Mild Amphetamines
DF 118 (Painkillers)Diazepam

The current maximum penalties are;

POSSESSION 7 years, a fine, or both 5 years, a fine, or both 2 years, a fine, or both
PRODUCING, SUPPLYING OR INTENT TO SUPPLY Life, a fine or both 14 years, a fine, or both 5 years, a fine, or both
IMPORTATION Life, a fine or both 14 years, a fine or both 5 years, a fine or both

Alcohol and Drugs Service

This is a free and confidential service than can offer help and support for people who want to reduce or stop substance use. This includes opiate substitution treatment (subutex and methadone) and detoxes. There are trained and experienced staff to help and advise people on their alcohol or drug use and provide psychosocial support. It is made up of a team of people with backgrounds in psychiatry, nursing, psychology, counselling and social work.

Tel: +441534 445000

Narcotics Anonymous Freephone

This is a world-wide organisation of recovering addicts using a twelve-step approach to recovery whose main purpose is to help any individual to stop using drugs. It is a self supporting, non profit making fellowship. Everyone involved in NA has had a drug problem of one sort or another and the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using mood altering chemicals. They are not interested in what substance is being used, only in you wanting to get well.

Tel: 08007351860

Silkworth Lodge

Silkworth Lodge offers residential treatment to those with alcohol dependency.

Reporting possible smuggling or other drug information

If you notice anything unusual or if you know anything that might help Jersey Customs and Immigration in their fight against drug smuggling, you can now pass this information directly to specially trained officers. The information will be treated in the strictest confidence and you can choose to remain anonymous if you wish.

Please call the Customs & Immigration Freephone 08007355555

There is a national freephone number that automatically connects up with Police Headquarters in Jersey.

Tel: 0800555111
Website: www.crimestoppers-uk.org/in-your-area/channel-islands/jersey

The information line is intended to be completely confidential. If there is a possible reward to be claimed you will be given a reference number to quote so as to keep your anonymity.

Information can be given to Crimestoppers anonymously by filling out a secure online ‘Giving information form’.

Additional information for parents