Public Entertainment Permits

1.4.1 Updated on:

Organising an event

If you want to organise and hold any public entertainment in Jersey you are likely to need a permit known as a Public Entertainment Permit. These permits are issued by the Bailiff and to get one you need to apply to the Bailiff’s Chambers.

Venues that offer entertainment regularly throughout the year are likely to have an annual permit. If you are planning to hold an event at a venue that has an annual permit you may not need one of your own. You must check the terms of the venue’s existing permit to make sure your event qualifies. If in doubt, seek advice from the Bailiff’s Chambers.

Depending on the type of event you are holding, your application may be considered by a panel which is made up of representatives from:

  • States of Jersey Police
  • Jersey Fire and Rescue Service
  • Ambulance Service
  • Health and Safety Inspectorate
  • Public Health Department.

This panel meets about once a month and advises the Bailiff about safety matters that may arise in the community because of the event.

Detailed information about the things you need to consider when organizing a public event can be seen here

The site includes information about:

  • Permission to hold a public event
  • One-off  Public Entertainment events
  • The application process, including selling alcohol at an event
  • Busking
  • Walks, cycle rides, bed pushes and other events
  • Permission to hold an event in a park
  • Application forms

For further information contact:

Bailiff’s Chambers, Royal Square, St Helier Jersey JE1 1BA

Tel: 01534 441100
Fax: 01534 441137

Monday to Thursday 8.45am – 1pm and 2pm – 5.15pm
Friday 8.45am – 1pm and 2pm – 4.45pm


For information on the subjects below, see Public Events on the Government of Jersey site.

  •   Advertising banners for events
  •   Collecting Money for Charity at a Public Event