Divorce – Portuguese Nationals

8.25.12.L6 Updated on:

How to get a divorce in Portugal

If you are a Portuguese national who was married in Jersey, you should have arranged for the marriage to be registered in Portugal as is required by Portuguese Law.

After getting a decree absolute, you should take both the decree absolute and decree nisi to the Portuguese consulate so that the documents can be translated into Portuguese and duly approved by the Consul.

You will need to employ a lawyer in Portugal to act for you in order to apply to the District Court for an action known as Revisaõ de sentença estrangeira.

The Court in Portugal will look at the documentation granting the divorce in Jersey and decide whether to recognise the divorce in Portugal.

According to the Portuguese Consulate in Jersey, this whole process can take up to two years.