Registration of Tourism Properties

11.8.0 Updated on:

Registration of Tourist Accommodation

See:  Tourism (Jersey) Law 1948

Any property used as a hotel, guesthouse, self-catering unit, hostel or campsite must be registered as tourist accommodation.

For how to register a property as tourist accommodation, the conditions that must be satisfied and fees paid, see here.

Keeping a Register of people who stay at the premises

The keeper of any registered tourist accommodation must keep a register of all the people or guests who stay at the premises, even just for one night. The details of what must be recorded on the register can be found in the  Immigration (Hotel Records)(Jersey) Order 1999.

The following is a brief summary of the registration requirements for guests, but for advice please contact:

Immigration Office

Customer and Local Services, Phillip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier, Jersey, JE4 8PE
Tel: +44 1534 447979

 Registration Guide for premises

Anyone over the age of 16 who arrives to stay at premises, whether furnished or unfurnished, where they have to pay for food or sleeping accommodation has to tell the keeper as soon as they arrive their full name and nationality.

If the person is not an EEA national, they also have to tell the keeper:

  • the number and place of issue of their passport, certificate of registration or other document establishing their identity and nationality
  • the full address where they normally live
  • on or before they leave the premises, the person must tell the keeper where they are going next and, if they know it, the full address.

The keeper has a duty to make sure that everyone staying at the premises obeys the law.

The keeper must keep a record in writing for a period of at least twelve months of all the information about everyone who has arrived to stay.

A police or immigration officer or any other person given permission by the Minister for Home Affairs must be allowed to check the keeper’s register at any time.

For details about registered lodging houses and unregistered lodgings, see Lodgers and the Law

For the laws see:

Lodging Houses (Registration) (Jersey) Law 1962

Lodging Houses (General Provisions) (Jersey) Order 1962