Export of vehicles to the UK

2.7.4.L4 Updated on:

If you are moving to the UK and taking your vehicle, you will need to check the following requirements:


If moving to the UK as a resident or staying longer than six months, you must re-register your vehicle.

  • Cancel the current registration of your vehicle at the Driver and Vehicle Standards Department at La Collette, St Helier. If the vehicle is to be permanently exported the registration document, VRD1, must be filled out on the reverse and given back to the DVS in Jersey no later than 7 days after the export date. You will be given a Certificate of Export
  • Declare the vehicle on arriving in the UK at the harbour so that a Customs clearance form is given to you
  • The vehicle must be registered as soon as possible in the area where you are going to be staying. If you are the owner, you must be able to give:
    • Certificate of Origin
    • MOT for cars over 3 years old
    • British insurance certificate
    • Customs clearance form, if you were given one at port of entry.


Full details on whether VAT is payable is available on the UK Government website is available here.

If the vehicle is sold, VAT has to be paid on the sale price.

If VAT is due, it is payable on the car’s value which is gauged from the vehicle’s sales invoice, or UK book price. The book price is the car industry’s book of tables for the value of a car of a certain age and condition.

The vehicle must be declared in the Red Channel at the port of entry if there are Customs’ officers there and payment made. If an ordinary bank cheque is used, no clearance document will be given for ten days to make sure that the cheque clears but the car may be driven away.

If there is no Customs’ official present on the docks, the owner should drive home and contact the nearest Customs and & Excise Advice Centre as soon as possible.

Further information regarding importing a vehicle into the UK is available here.