Call us for free on 0800 735 0249 or arrange a call back Click here for a callback

Motoring Law

Welcome to the Motoring Law section.

Breath Tests

A police officer can require a specimen of breath for a breath test if they have reasonable cause to suspect that a person has, is or may attempt to drive when they have alcohol in their body.  Failure to provide a specimen is an offence under the Road Traffic (Jersey) Law 1956. Positive Breath If […]

Cars – Removal from private or public property

Private land For full details on your options to remove vehicles parked on private land, please click here. As well as giving landowners options to deal with vehicles that are left on private land, the Motor Vehicles (Removal from Private Land) (Jersey) Regulations 2019 outlaws practices such as wheel clamping. The Regulations came into force […]

Complaints Against Motor Traders

When you have a complaint you, should first go back to the dealer where you bought the goods from. You need to give the dealer or garage in question the time and chance to put matters right. If the complaint is about a manufacturer’s warranty or is against a dealer where the problem is the […]

Driving Licence Loss

When a UK licence-holder is disqualified in Jersey Where a seasonal worker or holiday-maker has their UK driving licence suspended or disqualified whilst in Jersey, this only applies to driving in Jersey, and they can take their licence back to the UK and continue driving as before. Jersey licence-holder charged in UK or abroad If […]

Driving Licences

General information For general information you can contact Driver and Vehicle Standards. Telephone 448600. They can give you information about driving licences, car registration etc. The legislation which applies is the Road Traffic (Jersey) Law 1956 and the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) (Jersey) Order 2003. Licencing Authority Each Parish is able to issue licences and […]

Export of vehicles to the UK

If you are moving to the UK and taking your vehicle, you will need to check the following requirements: Re-registration If moving to the UK as a resident or staying longer than six months, you must re-register your vehicle. Cancel the current registration of your vehicle at the Driver and Vehicle Standards Department at La […]

International Driving Permits

International Driving Permits (IDPs) Issued by the Parish Halls. The cost is £10. An IDP is accepted in different countries and usually allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle without having to do anything different in the country you are travelling in. An IDP cannot be issued more than 3 months in advance. […]

Jersey Blue Badge Scheme

What is the Blue Badge Scheme? The scheme is to help people who have mobility problems  park close to amenities and shops when they park their vehicles. The scheme is similar to that which operates in the UK and the rest of the EU. The rights of badge holders are set out below. See also […]

Motor Insurance Discs

Motor Traffic (Third Party Insurance) (Jersey) Law 1948 – Insurance Disc All Jersey registered vehicles must display an insurance disc. Does the insurance disc prove that a driver is insured? No, the disc does not prove that the driver of a vehicle is insured, only that the owner of the vehicle has taken out insurance […]

Parking Fine Queries / Unpaid Parking Fines (St. Helier)

Public Car Parks These are administered by the Department for Infrastructure. Their office is at Sand Street Car Park. Motorists with a genuine reason to contest their fine should put their case in writing putting in parking scratch cards if related. If you fail to pay the £40 fine within the time you are allowed, […]

Parking, Scratch Cards, Season Tickets

Who polices parking in Jersey The Department for Infrastructure employs the Parking Control Officers (formerly traffic wardens). The officer’s patrol: Five multi-storey car parks Seventeen surface car parks – including Red Houses, St Aubins (around Parish Hall) and St Brelades Bay ‘On street’ parking in St Helier Sand Street Car Park Tel: +44 1534 448660 […]

Return of licence after disqualification

First offence If you were just over the limit, the likely fine would be up to £2,000 plus the loss of your licence for twelve months. If you were two or three times over the limit, the fine could be up to £2,000 plus the loss of your licence for two to two and a […]

Road Traffic Offences – Splashing Pedestrians

Splashing Pedestrians It is not an offence if a motorist splashes a pedestrian unless it can be proved that the motorist acted carelessly or deliberately. If it can be proved that the motorist acted deliberately, they can be charged with driving without due care and consideration for other road users or careless driving under the […]

Seat belts – Jersey Law

The Motor Vehicles (Wearing of Seat Belts by adults) (Jersey) Order 2009 Anyone travelling in the front or rear of a vehicle, a small goods van or a minibus must wear seat-belts. Some drivers and passengers are exempt. Passengers over the age of fourteen are responsible for making sure that they have fastened their own seat belt. The […]

Second Hand Cars

Unroadworthiness Under Article 81 of the Road Traffic (Jersey) Law 1956, it is an offence to sell or drive an unroadworthy vehicle. In deciding if a vehicle is not roadworthy, five areas of the vehicle are looked at – tyres brakes steering lights bodywork and exhaust A fault in any of these areas could result […]

Traffic Accidents

Compensation for injury Full details of the procedure for obtaining compensation for injury resulting from a traffic accident is contained on Personal Injuries. Legal advice will be necessary and there is a time limit of three years for the commencement of legal action from the date of the injury. Compensation for damage When damage has […]

Vehicle Registration

Driver and Vehicle Standards Department The DVS Department registers new vehicles to the Islands, conducts driving tests and carries out inspections of vehicles brought into the island and of suspected defective vehicles, usually at the request of the Police. If you are having a problem with your vehicle, you can’t take it to DVS to […]

Victims of uninsured and untraced drivers

There is an agreement in force between the Government of Jersey and the Motor Insurers’ Bureau regarding the payment of compensation to victims of uninsured drivers. The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) The MIB is run and funded by all insurance providers that issue compulsory vehicle insurance policies in the United Kingdom. The MIB gives compensation […]
Translate »