How to obtain a copy of house deeds

11.1.50.L2 Updated on:

Public Registry

Under Jersey Law, the contract of a house or property sale is heard in the Royal Court and then registered at the Public Registry.

Anyone may obtain a copy of their contract from either the lawyer who performed the conveyancing or from the Public Registry. There would be a charge made. The contracts were written in an old form of French until November 2006 but since this date, contracts have been written in English. A lawyer should be able to provide a translation of French contracts or at least explain what the contents say.

To obtain details of a contract from the Public Registry, it is necessary to provide either the name of the buyer or seller.

Please see link for information on Public Registry Services and fees.

The Public Registry is part of the Judicial Greffe at:

Royal Court House
Royal Square
St Helier

Tel: +44 1534 441300