New Business start up

6.1.0.L6 Updated on:

Setting up a business

The website has a 12 step guide that covers all the different licenses and registrations you will need to do.

Registration of Business name

You need to do this unless trading under your own name.

Companies Registry,
Financial Services Commission,
P.O. Box 267,
14-18 Castle Street,
St. Helier, Jersey,

Helpline: +44 1534 822030

A name search can be done by clicking on the following website:


Visit Setting up a Limited Company in Jersey | Jersey Business

Licence to Trade

You need Entitled for Work status.

Unless you are buying an existing business that already has licences for Registered Status employees, a licence is unlikely to be granted. The normal requirement is to have completed five years continuous residence.

Entitled for Work status or a licence is required to start a business, whether operated from home or otherwise.

See step 3 of the starting a business step by step guide here

Business Licencing

If you employ even a single person you must complete Manpower Returns. You need permission to take on Entitled, Licenced and Entitled for Work staff and any staff who have Registered Status. You must apply for permission to fill seasonal vacancies in your business although a licence granted last for a number of years may apply as long as overall numbers of staff do not increase. You can get full details from:

Employing staff: step by step guide (

Employing staff (registration cards) (


A Change of Use permit may be needed from the Planning & Building Services department. If you are a tenant, you should get permission from your landlord.

Business Advice

Jersey Business
31 The Parade
St Helier

Tel: +44 1534 610300

Business Advice for Non-residents and Applicants with less than 5 Years Residency

Support for businesses relocating to Jersey (

Locate Jersey
Maritime House
La Route du Port Elizabeth
St Helier

Tel: +44 1534 440666

Compulsory Employers’ Liability Insurance

Employing staff: step by step guide (

The Employers’ Liability [Compulsory Insurance] [Jersey] Law 1973 requires employers to take out insurance cover against liability for bodily injury or disease their employees may suffer in the course of their employment.

Registration with Customer and Local Services

Social Security payments for business owners or self-employed (

You must register with Customer and Local Services before you start trading and inform them that you will be self-employed.  As a self-employed person you will be liable to pay Class 2 contributions. Check that no exemptions apply for business start-ups.

Income tax

Personal tax for business owners (

You will need to register your business and complete Income Tax Instalment System [ITIS] forms on a monthly basis for any staff you employ. You should also take advice on possible changes to your own tax liability and frequency of payment.

Employment Law

Employing staff: step by step guide (

You must comply with the requirements of the Employment [Jersey] Law 2003 if you employ any staff. Further information is available from the Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service – JACS.