Call us for free on 0800 735 0249 or arrange a call back Click here for a callback


Welcome to the Work section.

Employee owed monies by an employer suspected of ceasing to trade

What to do If you think that  your employer is no longer in business, you need to work out what money is owed to you. Some of the things that you might be owed are; wages, any bonus, holiday pay, notice or payment in lieu of notice. You then need to check with the Viscount’s […]

Employment – Bullying at work

The Jersey Advisory and Conciliation Service (JACS) are the experts on employment matters and have a number of guides to help employers and employees deal with bullying and harassment. Please see Bullying and harassment in the workplace

Employment abroad

The right to work in EU countries Jersey-born people should check their passports before considering working abroad to make sure that they do not have the endorsement with the words ” The holder is not entitled to benefit from EU provisions relating to employment or establishment” on it.  If these words are in the passport it […]

End of employment – Unemployment

Signing on If you are out of work you should contact Customer and Local Services as soon as possible. An appointment will be made for you to see a Work Zone adviser. The adviser will explain your rights and entitlements under the Social Security Law. You still need to pay Social Security contributions. You may […]

Enterprise and Business Development

General information Jersey Business is an independent organisation that provides business support. Jersey Business services include: Starting up – start-up advice for would-be entrepreneurs including finance information Improve – advice for businesses wanting to develop Grow – advice for businesses wanting to grow Exit – advice for entrepreneurs who want to leave their current business […]

Finding employment in Jersey

Work Zone The Work Zone is based at Customer and Local Services. The team provide advice on job-seeking as well as what to do if you do not have a job and are receiving Income Support. Philip Le Feuvre House La Motte Street St Helier See here for more information. Tel: +44 1534 444444 Opening hours: […]

New Business start up

Setting up a business The gov.je website has a useful information page on setting up a new business click here. Registration of Business name You need to do this unless trading under your own name. Contact: Companies Registry, Financial Services Commission, P.O. Box 267, 14-18 Castle Street, St. Helier, Jersey, JE4 8TP Helpline: +44 1534 […]


Overpayments to a bank account If money is put into your bank account by mistake, the bank or building society is usually entitled to recover the money within a reasonable time. If you do not realise that the mistake has been made and have used the money in a way you would normally and acted […]

References from an employer

Does an employee have a right to be given a reference? Employers are under no legal obligation to provide a reference. Your terms of employment may however say that a reference will be given and this then should happen. If it is a contractual term, the employer will be in breach of contract if they […]

Retirement Pension (Old Age Pension)

What is a pension? A pension is a weekly benefit paid to you when you reach a certain age to help cover your basic needs in retirement. The amount of pension you receive will depend on the amount of social security contributions you have paid during your working life. For more information see here. When […]

Starting work – Contract of Employment (Breach of contract)

Start date of Contract of Employment A Contract of Employment is an agreement you make with an employer when you start working for them. It begins either from the start date stated on it or from the date the person starts to work. If the employment has already started, the terms of a new Contract […]
Translate »