Child Personal Care Benefit

9.8.8.L3 Updated on:

About the Child Personal Care benefit​​

If you have a child or children with a serious or high level of long-term illness or disability but you don’t receive Income Support, you can apply for the Child Personal Care benefit. It does not matter how much your household income is.

Full information about this government benefit is available on the Government of Jersey website here.

Qualifying for the Child Personal Care benefit​

To be eligible for Child Personal Care Benefit, you must satisfy certain requirements. These are:

  • your child must need a very high level of help with their personal care when compared to other children of the same age
  • one adult in the household must pass the Income Support residence test
  • the child’s condition must be expected to last at least six months (either before or after the claim is made), but the benefit may be available to children who are terminally ill
  • your child must meet the requirements for level two or three of the Personal Care component

The benefit can be awarded for physical, sensory, emotional and cognitive conditions.

For the purposes of Child Personal Care Benefit, a child is a child who is under compulsory school leaving age. In Jersey, school leaving age is reached on 30th June in the school year that the young person or child has their 16th birthday.

Personal Care Component Levels​​

A child who needs a high level of personal care will always need a lot of help from an adult with activities that a child of the same age would normally be able to do on their own, or with only a small amount of help.

There are three levels of Personal Care:

Children who meet Level One are not eligible for Personal Care benefit, although you may qualify for additional help if you already get Income Support.

Level One​​​​​​ – Children with an impairment or condition that affects some parts of their daily life, but who do not need a high level of help. For example, a child with epilepsy who needs help with medication, or a child with asthma who needs assistance to carry out some everyday tasks.

Level two​  – Children with a high level of impairment who need help with a wide range of their daily activities. For example, a child with learning difficulties who needs a lot of help with getting around and remaining safe, or a child with physical disabilities who needs a lot of help walking, getting dressed, going to the toilet and washing

Level three​​​ – Children with a higher level of impairment who need a lot of help with everyday tasks, e.g. paralysis or very significant learning disabilities. A child who qualifies as Level Three will require a high level of care throughout the day and night.

How much benefit you’ll receive​​​

Please see the Income Support rates here.

How to apply for the Child Personal Care benefit​​

Schools have information telling parents how to apply.  Information is also available from Customer and Local Services.

If you have a pre-school child or children who are too young to go to school, you’ll need to apply to the Department directly.

If you’re already receiving a Personal Care component for your child through Income Support, you don’t need to apply for Child Personal Care benefit.

Extra help for carers​

If you’re caring for a child who meets Level Three of the Personal Care component, you may be able to claim the Home Carer’s Allowance benefit and claim for extra support under Income Support. Please see here.

More information on all of these benefits is available from Customer and Local Services:

Philip Le Feuvre House, La Motte Street, St Helier.

Telephone: +44 1534 444444

Opening hours:   Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm