Tied accommodation

11.5.14 Updated on:

Employment and Housing

If your accommodation is tied to your employment, your right to occupy the accommodation ends when your employment ends.  This type of accommodation is not covered by the Residential Tenancy Law, even if it is self-contained. Employers are requested to give a period of notice at least equal to the period of payment of wages, so if you are paid monthly they are asked to give one month’s notice.  Sometimes you will have a contract of employment and a separate accommodation agreement. Look at both for information.

Employers can evict if the reason for being in the accommodation no longer applies.